Monday, March 23, 2015

Week 4: Pre - Ted Talk

Before making any progress this week, I needed time to reflect. I needed to reminisce about the start of the project so I could figure out the deeper purpose that was being developed through the process. The past few weeks I’ve been growing into an artist and I want to be able to express that with myself. As weird as this sounds, I had to get in touch with myself so I could really connect with why I started this project in the first place.


Yes, this project was a requirement for a grade but I did choose what I learned. I got to pick what I did with my blog and my time. It was all up to me. I took some time to really reflect on what made me do this project and I can honestly say it was more than what I said in the beginning.


It is true that being a dancer you need to have experience in every style of dance and yes, it is true that tap is a major part of dance, but that wasn’t my only reason to tapping. I can confidently say that there were to other influences in making my decision to learn tap.


First, my friend Sophia. Sophia is a dancer at my company who is the definition of perfection. She has perfect posture, leaps, turn out, balance, EVERYTHING!! I am so jealous of her capabilities and strengths. What she can do on the dance floor is simply astounding. I WANT TO BE HER!! Sophia does every style I do but she also is amazing at tap. I look up to her as a dancer and I want to be as strong as she is with her movement. I wanted to attack tap the way she did and wanted to have the capability too. One of my hopes for this project, was to see an improvement in my tap skills to a point where I can feel confident enough to go to Sophia for help. She has such confidence in not just her dancing but her words and her actions. She can put a smile on anyone’s face and she makes the most of everyday.


The other reason I wanted to tap was to find myself through more than a ballet or contemporary piece. Ballet and contemporary have always been my strong styles and I could get lost in my own movement and wanted that feeling elsewhere and I knew dancing did that for me so why not tap??!


My inspiration for tap, I discovered, was more than what I said in my first post. It was a role model and a hidden feeling. That’s what I used to make my final product.


P.S.S..S.S.S..S.S.S.S.S.S.S..SS..
SORRYY!!! I will have the video uploaded to my next dance in my next post. I couldn’t accomplish all I wanted to! I want this video to be spectacular so just waittt!!

Commentss:
Avery Ryan
Margo Kaplan
Ruby Lee

1 comment:

  1. Kat!
    I loved your ted talk and I also love this pre-ted talk post!!!! I'm so glad you found inspiration aside from your original reason why you wanted to start tap. I'm also pleased that your point of view on Sophia is not hatred from jealousy, but rather her being a role model you look up to. Looking forward to your blog reflection!!

    ReplyDelete