Monday, February 23, 2015

Finding the Passion: The Dance of a Flower


The passion within dance can be hard to find if you don’t have the spirit. The spirit is the motivation to continue and move forward. This spirit within you plants the seed for your inner passion for dance. This is what happened for me.
My seed was planted a while back. It was something that stayed with me for a long time. When I was a little girl, I would jump around my house and blast music so no matter what inch of the house you were in, you could hear it. This music would pour it’s melody in my arms and legs. The melody moved me. I couldn’t stop making a harmony for my music. This harmony came from my body. This new instrument became a way for me to express what I feel inside whether it be excitement or happiness-at the time. When I was angry, I would dance to get my anger out. I never knew what it meant to truly dance until only a year ago. That is when my flower bloomed.
Last year, I discovered the true meaning behind my harmony. I felt the aches and pains that I had to convey. I felt the expression, the emotion, and the melody. Once I found myself in the music, I was able to do things I didn’t know I could. I remember when I first bloomed with the melody, I couldn’t express a greater passion than I did when my spirit first bloomed. It came to life. I can’t explain how because it happens on its own.
For me, finding the passion took some tears. Some fear. Some sadness. Once I experienced sadness, I was able to understand the words and not just the melody. I was able to connect movements to the words. I was able to connect the feelings to my movement. My body felt what I felt on the inside and that’s how I became a dancer.
Dancing and being a dancer is two very different things. To dance, you have to be able to kick your leg and leap. To dance, you have to be able to count to eight. To dance, you have to be able to listen to music. But this doesn’t matter. To be a dancer, you have to be able to connect with the music. To be a dancer, you have to be able to understand what each number means. To be a dancer, you have to be able to make your body move with the melody. To be a dancer, you have to be able to feel what you are trying to make the audience feel. To be a dancer, you have to be an artist. To dance, you just need to hold a paint brush. You can’t paint with it until you become a dancer.
My journey connected to my core. I understood what it meant to dance. That took some tears, some loss, some heartbreaks, and some soul-searching. But now that I’ve found the meaning, I can get rid of all of that with one dance. The dance of my flower.

3 comments:

  1. I liked this blog post a lot because it really seems to capture the emotional side of dancing, something most people do not see just from observation. Are you planning on incorporating these diary-type entries in your blog? I think they really add another element to your dancing! I can't wait to see your skills improve in the next few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kat! I really enjoyed this post! I really liked the way you spoke about dancing - it seems like a very interesting and personal topic to you. The way you spoke about it made it easy for a reader to understand but at the same time it still seemed personal to you - it was very interesting, I am really excited to see how you will improve your skills over time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!!

    I really liked the way you worded this post. I'm glad that you have such a passion for dance! How did you experience sadness in dance? I think that you will really benefit from learning a new way of dance, because you will be able to share your emotions through a new style! Tap is a very different kind of dance than jazz or modern, and it'll be interesting to see how your technique changes as you learn this dance or influences your tap dancing, if it does at all.

    ReplyDelete