Thursday, February 19, 2015

Week 0: Planning To Tap My Way To The Top

Before this project was assigned I knew exactly what it was. In 8th grade, I watched all of my freshman friends doing their project and one in particular was sign language. I have a passion when it comes to language and it is something that I want to pursue when I am able to choose my own career. I felt that learning sign language would be a new experience from the other ways I have learned languages (English and German), through speaking. Unfortunately for me, I found that many people were doing sign language and I wanted my project to be unique so I moved on to plan B.


https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/S7_SHUd7xe3RDFiEItrizkkfny7kmKORVSvIg_FyTzNe_c06d214goyDn8Y19HLCNVCXA6cBP0gANdTPeyZYdCZcVwVIzcAdKPqomlYkRKnAwXj96VFCMD1rehiDWt5d-jg


     

My plan B is expanding my kinetic skills in the form of dance. I have taken every style of dance including more unique one’s such as african and salsa. I have taken all kinds except tap, which is the style I am pursuing for this project. Dance is something that I have been passionate about for a while now. I feel that tap will increase my passion and make me love dance even more than I already do. Although it is not something I want to make a career out of, it is something that has made me who I am today so why not try a new groove and a new style to “step” into.


https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/PqL_1-eTqxaimxeLzXf6mpncU1pnEFMocZQhBZ2sejnqWwGmjsmt97nyhc8zJtl8H2SroX9jSJl_CqR872wDCv7jmFPbkJiwzGd9_TdMZi7TsiX3TdA_Iw1XV37mPzpIAfU




To learn this new style, I plan on watching youtube videos to learn some basic steps along with more intermediate steps such as a toe stand turn. I will embed these moves in my brain and then later practice them on the dance floor at my studio on Saturday mornings. I will measure my progress by making a checklist of all the steps I want to learn and when I am able to do the step, I will check it off. After I master these steps, I plan on choreographing a dance to convey some kind of message. This way, I am able to find myself in a new style and embrace this new form of expression. I am very motivated to complete my goal because I want to have experience in every style and be able to find more enjoyment by tapping. Tap will allow me to improve my kinetic and dance skills so I am more advanced and it will increase my level in my dance career.  



1 comment:

  1. I knew you already did dance, but I had no idea that you did so many different kinds! That's a great thing to know. Its very important to be familiar with every kind of dance when you're a dancer, similar to how you should be able to play different instruments as a musician. Just be sure to be able to get in enough time on the weekends. (And you could always learn sign language on the side :P)

    ReplyDelete